Thursday, April 21, 2011

Blog Assignment 13

ALEX logo

Alabama Learning Exchange, or ALEX, is a place for teachers to find lesson plans, links, and podcasts to help with planning in their classroom. For example while exploring the site I found a lesson plan in which students used a class wiki to make a class presidential election. The students created websites for their parties and candidates and eventually elected a president. Their are also podcasts for various subject areas. I personally explored the social studies podcasts and found podcasts for many Alabama history topics and historical figures. There are also links to professional development opportunities.

Since my wife is a teacher I asked her about how her school uses ALEX. Her school uses ALEX as a credit recovery system. Students who fail a subject participate in a distance learning program in order to relearn subject matter that they were before unable to master. She personally uses ALEX to find methods that already work and are fashioned towards the Alabama course of study.

As a teacher I would definitely use ALEX in order to help me with my lesson plans. I would also be interested in sharing my own lessons that are successful so other teachers can come up with ideas for their classroom. I feel it is important for teachers to share ideas outside of the school you work in. The more minds that come together, the more great ideas can be come up with.

ACCESS is a site dedicated to distance learning for Alabama Students. There are AP exam reviews for teachers to use to help students prepare for the tests. Students also have access to these learning materials in order for them to prepare outside of the classroom. There are also AHSGE remediation materials for students who have had trouble passing the exam. There are also lists of available online courses for students to take in remediation and in the AP level.

No comments:

Post a Comment